Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Sour Puss Rapsberry Review and Cocktail


I went to LCBO today to look for something colorful. I was going to make some slushies but wanted to add something alcohol based for the color. I was thinking something along the lines of an apple liquor, but as my luck would have it there were only large bottles of the apple stuff. The only thing that came in a bottle smaller than 750 mL was this guy - Sour Puss Raspberry. Damn it, I wanted apple. I really didn't want to buy a 750 mL bottle because I only wanted enough for 2 drinks. The little guy costs $6.95 CAD, which is not much.

If you haven't had this stuff before I have to warn you...this is very sour. It is as sour as the sour syrup you put in your slush puppy for $0.10 per shot. It is so sour that the alcohol taste does not hit you until a few seconds after you have swallowed. I like sour stuff, but I would not drink this straight. I would have a sip now and then just for the sourness factor, but not drink it straight. This, however, is great for mixing. Add a bit of vodka or white rum, some ice and you have an interesting drink that most people would enjoy. Think whiskey sour, that's what the combo will taste like, except for the whiskey part.

Now let me say a few words about this particular drink. I already said it was sour, but I didn't say anything about the flavour. The raspberry flavour is noticeable both while taking a sip and in the aftertaste. It tastes a lot like sour Air Heads or those Toxic Waste candies, the raspberry flavour of course.

Now for the main course. A couple of days ago I got a bunch of stuff to make slushies and have been making them since. Here is a list of what I used today:
  • 4 cups of ice
  • 1/3 of a tin of jack fruit with the syrup
  • 4 tablespoons of sweetened condensed milk or sugar
  • 100 mL of Sour Puss Raspberry
I blended all the ingredients together and here is a photo of the result.

In reality it did not look this pale, it was more of a salmon color and in hindsight, yes, I should have added the whole bottle of Sour Puss to get a nice red color and bump up the alcohol level. All the ingredients only made enough to fill 2 of these drinking glasses and I didn't even feel warm after drinking them both. I added some rum at the end, but I think it would have been much better if I did that in the first place. So, if you want to try something refreshing and cheap on a hot summer day, get yourself a bottle of Sour Puss, a bag of ice, some canned fruits and some sugar. The bag of ice will be enough for a lot of slushies, in fact, it will be more than enough for a 750 mL bottle of Sour Puss. The total I spent for these two drinks was just over $4. Why so cheap? Because I only used half the bottle of Sour Puss, around 1/5 of the bag of ice and only 1/3 of the tin of canned fruit, leaving plenty for another 2 drinks. I could have made this cheaper if I had substituted the canned fruit with frozen juice. Perhaps a few spoonfuls of frozen juice would have done the same job. Go, try your own mix and report back.

Scores:
Cost - $6.95 for a 200 mL bottle
Taste - 7.7/10 for the Sour Puss and 8.5/10 for the mixed drink

Overall - 8.5/10...I just wish I added the whole bottle of Sour Puss

No comments:

Post a Comment