Sunday, March 7, 2010

Gibson's Finest 12 Year Old Whiskey Review


The last time I was at an LCBO stores I picked up a sampler bottle of Gibson's Finest, which I hope is enough to try the whiskey. The little, 50 mL, bottle costs $2.95 CAD and not many stores carry it.

The photo doesn't do the whiskey justice. I went overboard with the light and used a lot shutter speed. Its true color is gold and very rich. A sweet toffee aroma with a touch of vanilla rises up and invites you in for a sip. A swirl of the glass shows that the whiskey is a little oily and sticks to the walls. The taste is similar to the aroma, only it reveals the additional presence of oak and that the whiskey has subtle smoky character. The whiskey is smooth in the mouth, but not as smooth going down. It has a lot of flavour, which makes it a better choice than some other $20-ish whiskeys, but overall I am not very impressed. The flavour does not last a long time and one can feel the roughness easily. I would buy Forty Creek over this.

I just wish I had bought another one so I can try cutting it with water or in a Manhattan.

Scores:
Cost - $27.75 CAD for a 750 mL bottle or $14.95 for a 375 mL one
Taste - 6.8/10

Overall - 6.8/10...great aroma for a cheap whiskey, but its true character, or lack of, shows in the taste and finish

No comments:

Post a Comment