Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Brooklyn Lager Review


This Easter holiday I was in Toronto for a few days and I went to one of the larger LCBO locations on Queen's Quay, where I bought a few beers I had never seen anywhere else. First in line is a bottle of Brooklyn Lager, The Pre-Prohibition Beer. If this lager is anything like Galt Knife, I will make sure to visit that LCBO more often and stock up on the 6 packs. Yes, the 6 packs. They retail for $13.80.

The beer dark to medium copper colored and poured very smoothly with a short, off-white head, which receded in a few minutes leaving some lacing behind. The aroma is absolutely amazing, best lager aroma I have had the pleasure to inhale. It is very similar to that of Galt Knife, only slightly more intense. I detect a nice blend of malt and hops with notes of dried fruits, biscuit and butter. The Brooklyn Lager has a medium to full mouth-feel and tastes fantastic. Some sweetness and hints of dried fruits at the start, a touch of grassiness in the middle, but the end is hoppy and bittersweet. The finish is medium, dry, hoppy with some toasted malt and very enjoyable. This has to be the best lager I have had and the 6 pack is definitely worth the $14. The beer has everything - a pleasant aroma, great taste and a great finish.

Scores:
Cost - $13.80 CAD for a 6 pack
Taste - 8.8/10

Overall - 8.8/10...some grassy notes, but the overall taste and experience is fantastic

No comments:

Post a Comment