Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Fischer Pils Beer Review


I love swing tops and I love large beer bottles so buying a bottle of Fischer Pils was a no-brainer for me. I was at the cash register when I noticed the price - $4.60!!! Well, at least it's a 650 mL bottle.

Back home I had a lot of problems opening the bottle. The bottom wire came off no problem, but there was none of that popping sound I love so much. Instead I got nothing. Absolutely nothing. The cap was stuck to the bottle. I tried pulling it, but nothing. I tried using a fork to get it to come off, but still no luck. I finally twisted the bottom wire up and just started pushing on the cap with it. After a couple of seconds I heard a hiss and after another 2 seconds of pushing the cap came off. I believe the seal was stuck to the opening. Anyways, I poured myself a glass of the light golden lager and sat down. The beer poured with almost no head and what was left at the end was just a white ring around the edge of the glass. The aroma of the lager is not as inviting as I was expecting it to be. It smelled a bit skunky and more like a cider than a beer. Some light malt and hop notes are noticeable, but most of the aroma is of cider with some citrus hints. The mouth-feel is medium to full with light hoppy notes and some cider hints. The finish is medium, crisp and lightly refreshing. The 6% ABV is not very noticeable at first and the beer tastes a lot like a regular, 5% lagers. Half way through the bottle, the 6% become more noticeable. The finish also adopts a slight warmth, which aids the experience a little.

Overall it wasn't what I was expecting, but it wasn't a bad beer to enjoy. The skunk aroma subsided after 5 minutes so the beer got better.

Scores:
Cost - $4.60 for a 650 mL bottle
Taste - 6.8/10

Overall - 6.8/10...the cider notes add a bit of character, but overall this is just an OK lager

No comments:

Post a Comment