Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Westmalle Trappist Dubbel Review


The local LCBO had some new beers in today so I decided to try some. For today I have selected the Westmalle Dubbel. The beer retails for $3.45 CAD for a 33 cL (that's 330 mL) bottle, which is a bit on the steep side. I haven't seen this beer many places, a bottle like this is hard to miss and forget.

The beer is dark brown in color with red hues. It is so dark that I wasn't even sure what color it was until I placed the glass in front of my work light. The light went through making the beer blood red in color. Of course that is not its real color, but it looked very nice. The light trick also revealed the beer's cloudiness. Pay attention when pouring the beer as it is very foamy coming out. I looked away for a second when pouring it and the glass went from 1/3 full to completely overfilled and there was foam all over my hand and some on my desk. I am sure you have figured out from all this that the beer pours with a thick, very thick, creamy head. Surprisingly it does not take long to recede to a small mountain of creamy foam in the middle of the glass with some lacing. It smells fruity and a bit spicy. The taste is also fruity with hints of berries, similar, in a distant sort of way, to red wine. The finish is medium, dry and hoppy, with the flavour slowly going towards tart, dry berries. Yes, this is a strong beer, but the alcohol content does not affect the flavour at all. You will only notice it after a few sips. I like this, I like this very much. I absolutely love the finish once it is fully developed.

Scores:
Cost - $3.45 CAD for a 330 mL bottle
Taste 8.9/10

Overall 8.9/10...great taste, with an even better finish

No comments:

Post a Comment