Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Beck's Review


I'm a new reviewer here at What I Drink at Home, and I thought I'd start off with something easy to drink and easy to review before moving into the heavier flavors. Beck's is a mass-market pilsner produced by Anheuser-Busch InBev. It's one of a few lighter beers that I like, since it offers a clean and refreshing taste with some decent flavor. It's also widely available at the LCBO, so it's a nice beer to fall back on. At $2.45 for a 500 mL can, it's not the cheapest beer out there, but it provides a nice balanced break from the fuller flavored beers. At 5% ABV, it's in the average range.

The beer pours with a very thin head and a pale straw or light gold color. The aroma is typical for a pilsner, reminiscent of barley or other grains. It's not a wheat-like smell, and there is no sense of malt or hops in the nose. The taste is a good balance of malt and hops, and not overwhelming. I find that it tends to get watery near the end of the pint, as you get used to the taste, so I avoid drinking more than a pint at a time. The finish is bitter and fairly refreshing. Overall, it's a decent mass-market beer that is easy to find, with a balanced flavor. It is crisp and not heavy.

Scores:
Cost - $2.45 for a 500 mL can
Taste - 7.0/10

Overall - 7.0/10...a fair beer, but doesn't offer anything special

No comments:

Post a Comment