Monday, November 2, 2009

Holsten Premium Review


It has been a while since I have had a lager. Today I found a 6 pack of Holsten in the fridge and decided to have one. I was surprised to find out that a 6 pack is only $9.95 CAD, that's cheaper than most 4 packs of bitters.

This beer has a typical lager color - pale yellow/straw. It pours with a very short head which is creamy in the middle. It has a weak hop, slightly spicy aroma. I also detect a weak roasted malt scent with a very distant citrus note. The taste is similar to the aroma, but richer in flavour. There is a certain bitterness that comes alive in the finish which is rather pleasant. I was not expecting much from this beer, but I was a bit surprised. It is certainly not an award winner, but at this price, the taste is great. I think I found myself a new party beer.

Scores:
Cost - $9.95 CAD for a 6 pack, $1.60 CAD for a 330 mL bottle and $2.00 CAD for a 500 mL can
Taste - 7.1/10...there isn't much character, but I like the bitter, hoppy finish

Overall - 7.2/10...I give it an extra 0.1 for the price/taste combo

No comments:

Post a Comment