Monday, November 16, 2009

Innis & Gunn Rum Cask Review

Today I have the Innis & Gunn Rum Cask beer, aged for 107 days in barrels previously containing rum. I have enjoyed the Innis & Gunn original beer, and I am hoping that this one delivers more of that slightly oaky and malty taste. At 7.4% ABV, this is a strong beer, and I am expecting something unique.

This beer is a very deep red color, not unlike a brewed black tea. It pours with a very foamy head which recedes rather quickly, leaving behind a thin layer of medium-sized bubbles. There is little lacing. The nose is somewhat sour, suggesting fermented rye or overripe pears. It reminds me of kvass, a fermented bread drink. The taste is surprisingly refreshing and there is no hint of the high alcohol content. It is suprisingly light, with a taste of malt. There is a very slight astringency from the oak, but it is not nearly as present as in the regular Innis & Gunn beer. Again, it reminds me of kvass. The finish is quite malty without being too sweet.

It's not a great beer, but it is very unique. I never know what to expect from the Innis & Gunn beers.

Scores:
Cost - $14.95 for 3 bottles and a glass
Taste - 6.8/10

Overall - 6.8/10...it's not bad, but I was expecting something more. The taste and smell put me off, and I did not enjoy this as much as I expected.

No comments:

Post a Comment