Monday, November 16, 2009

Chimay Blue Review


I have been looking forward to this one for a while now. Chimay Blue has been discontinued at the LCBO so if you come across this one, you better snatch it. I got mine as part of the Chimay Gift Box I bought last week.

The bottle opened with a geyser of foam. How I hate bottle conditioned beers since I don't have the necessary reaction times to properly open and pour them. Once I cleaned up my mess, I returned to the beer which has a dark brown color with red hues and is a bit cloudy. It poured with a medium head, which receded fairly quickly leaving a small, thick island of foam in the middle. The aroma is flowery with some sweet hints in the background. The taste is sweet and very alcoholic. Hints of dried fruits are present and add to the flavour. The finish is medium, spicy and of hops and is fantastic once fully developed. To be completely honest, I am a bit disappointed as I was expecting a lot more from this beer. Don't take this the wrong way, this is a great strong beer with an amazing finish, but it failed to deliver what I was expecting.

Scores:
Cost - $3.30 for a 330 mL bottle if you can still find it
Taste - 7.4/10

Overall - 7.4/10...it is good, but the Westmalle I had a few weeks ago was a much better overall beer

No comments:

Post a Comment