Sunday, December 27, 2009

Hoptical Illusion Almost Pale Ale Review


The first time I had this was at a pub at the recommendation of the good barkeep. I absolutely loved it so when I was at LCBO today and saw the 6 packs, I grabbed one to help me get through the day. Surprisingly the 6 packs cost only $11.95 CAD. Why am I surprised? Because a 6 pack of Coors Light is $12.90.

When I opened the first bottle I accidentally noticed the writing on the bottom of the cap. It said "Generally avoid temptation, unless you can't resist!" I thought it was just their slogan until I opened a second bottle and found "Living on Earth is expensive, but includes a free trip around the Sun!" So, I concluded that each cap contains a statement...like a fortune cookie or a Jones soda, except that it is not much of a fortune. Nice touch.

The beer is dark amber in color and slightly cloudy. It pours smoothly with a short and lacy head which recedes to a thin film. The aroma is very rich - sweet, biscuity with hints of roasted malt and hops. The taste is similar to the aroma, only a bit sharper with citrus hints. The hops appear in the finish, which also carries a roasted malt undertone. Unlike the beer on tap, the bottled version is not as well balanced, but I still think it's great.

I was considering labeling this as cheap beer, but due to a new policy some LCBO stores have, which prevents the sale of single bottles, I have to refrain from doing so.

Scores:
Cost - $11.95 CAD for a 6 pack
Taste - 7.7/10 for the bottles, 8/10 on tap

Overall - 7.8/10...I like this, I am going to give it an extra 0.1 for the low price/good beer combination

No comments:

Post a Comment