Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Alexander Keith's Dark Ale Review


I don't normally go for beers like Alexander Keith's, but I do love dark ales. I recently started seeing this ale in the White & Dark packs, combination packs of Keith's White and Dark ales, to makes black and tans. I do like black and tan combos, but didn't feel like buying a kit so I found individual cans of the dark ale, which cost $2.20 each.

The beer has a very dark walnut brown color and pours very smoothly with a thick, lively head. The brew smells more like a lager than a dark beer, but it still exhibits some chocolate and coffee notes. The taste is weak on the chocolate and coffee front and more dominant on the malt and hops. The finish nutty, a touch hoppy, but mostly non-existent. It takes a very long time for some flavour to appear and when it does it is very weak. I am not saying that this is a bad beer, but it could use some more flavour. The price puts it at a slight advantage, but I would rather pay an extra 40 cents and get a decent dark beer, one with a lot of flavour. People who are thinking of getting into darker beers could use this as a transitional brew, but those who already drink darker beers can easily skip this one.

Scores:
Cost - $2.20 CAD for a 473 mL can
Taste - 6.9/10

Overall - 6.9/10...weak flavour, but quite drinkable

No comments:

Post a Comment