Thursday, November 4, 2010

County Durham Signature Ale Review


I tried Durham Ale a few months ago on tap at a pub in Toronto and absolutely loved it. When I saw a case of beer with the name Durham at the LCBO, I felt compelled to get one. I am not sure if it is the same brewer and the only way to check that would be to go to the pub...but since I am too lazy, I am just going to go ahead and drink this beer...that's right, no fact checking.

The beer seems to be a little more carbonated than what I had at the pub, but the deep amber color is sort of close. The head is medium thick, not too creamy and definitely not that lacy. On the nose are bittersweet, biscuity notes with hops and definitely some dried fruits. The taste is moderately rich with a burst of bittersweet hops. There is a roasted malt hint as well as a buttery tone. Some metallic undertones can be noticed, but at least they are not too strong. The finish is mildly dry, hoppy and bittersweet. Overall, this is a very solid ale for $12, one that I would probably buy again. It is an easy drinking beer for those who like pale ales and I can easily see myself drinking the entire 6-pack...just because.

Scores:
Cost - $11.95 for a 6 pack
Taste - 8/10
ABV - 5%

Overall - 8.1/10...not the cheapest beer you can find at the LCBO, but the price/taste ratio is definitely high, which is why it deserves an extra 0.1

No comments:

Post a Comment