Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dutschke Old Codger Fine Old Tawny Port Review


I decided to change it up tonight and try something different. Lately, there has been a lot of talk about port around me so I took a long tour of the local LCBO store and settled on a bottle of port from the vintage section for $19.95.

I have had a few ports so far and they all had a fairly deep red/purple color, so I was a bit surprised at the color when I poured myself a glass of this one. It was still red, but had a lot more purple than usual and let a lot of light to pass through. I knew it was sweet and thick just by swirling it, because it coated the glass with a layer with a long retention time. The aroma was impressive and though it was sweet, it had some fruits, spices and just a touch of smokyness to let you know that this is serious business. The first sip further confirmed the thickness and sweetness I noticed earlier, but it also blew me away by its character. It tastes like a strawberry jam with just a sprinkle of tartness. After the sweet jam-like taste, came in a strong plum flavour after which came in the sweet, warm, smokey finish. Even though the color surprised me a little at first, I ended up liking this port very much. Being a fortified wine, the alcohol content is 18.8%, but you cannot taste the alcohol...though you can easily feel it...and how.

Scores:
Cost - $19.95
Taste - 8.8/10
ABV - 18.8%

Overall - 8.8/10...jammy, a touch smokey, ultimately sweet

1 comment:

  1. Old Codger is what real port drinkers drink....and what snobby one's drink when no one's looking!

    ReplyDelete