Friday, January 7, 2011

Wolfgang's German Style Beer Review


Last night I picked up the current Ontario Craft Brewers (OCB) Discovery 6-pack. The 6-pack contains, obviously, 6 different beers, 2 of which I have already tried - Flying Monkey's Nether World and Mill Street's Coffee Porter. The rest would make for a great night.

I am starting off with Wolfgang's German Lager made by Skeena Brewing Company. Being a lager, the beer has a light golden color which is typical for many of the German and Austrian lagers, and darker than many of the macrobrew ones. The aroma is fairly standard with cereal, malt, a touch of hops and just a hint of citrus. The taste is pretty average, but OK for a lager. It is bolder than many of the standard lagers with just a little more flavour and a better, longer lasting finish. When I say longer lasting, I mean longer compared to other lagers. Grassy notes with a touch of adjuncts are present and start to affect the flavour half way through the glass. The finish is dry and not very crisp for this type of beer. Personally, I am not a huge fan of lagers, but if I was given the choice between this and a macrobrew one, I would probably pick this one.

Scores:
Cost - $12.30 for the discovery pack, $11.95 for a 6-pack of these
Taste - 5.7/10
ABV - 5.9%

Overall - 5.8/10...I give it an extra 0.1 for the higher alcohol content, which makes up a little for the averageness of this brew

No comments:

Post a Comment