Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Elora Special Bitter Review


This is the second beer from the OCB sampler pack that I am reviewing. Being a bitter, I am very excited to try it.

The beer is hazy, deep copper color and pours with a moderately lacy, short head with a good retention time. The aroma is sweet with a lot of hops and some caramel and nutty tones. The flavour is bold, mostly bitter with a lot of hops, nuts and roasted malt. Though the aroma is sweet, there is very little sweetness in the flavour. The finish is dry and even more bitter with a lot of hops and a touch of citrus. Being so hoppy, I thought I would enjoy this beer, but the bitterness can be overwhelming at times. The balance seems to be a bit off and I think that some of this fruitiness in the aroma should be brought to the taste. Another thing is the carbonation - there is a lot of it. Criticisms aside, I thought this was an OK local bitter attempt.

Scores:
Cost - $12.30 for the Discovery pack or $3.95 for a 650 mL bottle
Taste - 6.8/10
ABV - 5%

Overall - 6.8/10...a fairly decent local bitter, which needs some more to be able to compete with the British ones

No comments:

Post a Comment