Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Samuel Adams Winter Lager Review


Aside from the extremely cold weather, I really enjoyed the weekend because I managed to score a 6-pack of the newly imported Samuel Adams Winter Lager for $13.50. Unfortunately this was the only Samuel Adams product not to carry the free, branded glass. Not to worry, I already have one.

The first thing I noticed about the lager is its color - it is a deep amber one with some mahogany tones. It pours with a short, tan head, which is neither bubbly nor creamy and recedes relatively quickly. The aroma is not very lager-like since this is a weizenbock. It is malty with a strong, sweet caramel influence and a touch of bubblegum. The taste is similar, though not as sweet as the aroma and also carries some roasted notes. The finish is what I like the best. The hops come out, there is a nice warm feeling with just a touch of spice. Overall, this is a decent sipping beer, but I don't think I can have more than a few at a time.

Scores:
Cost - $13.50 for a 6-pack
Taste - 7.7/10
ABV - 5.5%

Overall - 7.7/10...just a notch below the standard Samuel Adams Boston Lager

No comments:

Post a Comment