Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Molson M Review


I am not a beer snob...is what the beer snob said. But seriously, I will try any beer that I can get my hands on...once! Some make it to this site, some don't. After seeing this Molson brew for the first time a few weeks ago at the local LCBO, I decided to get a can and actually save it for a review. Well, here it is, after weeks of sitting in my fridge, I finally got it out of the back and cracked it open.

First off, what is microcarbonization? Well, according to Molson, it is a process which involves the injection of small CO2 bubbles into the beer to preserve the taste of hops and the flavours generated by the yeast during fermentation. Did it work? Well, I wish I had a plain Molson (by which I mean Canadian) to compare it to, but do read below.

The beer has a slightly pale straw color and pours with a lively, short head which recedes in seconds. Not much hold there. The aroma is weak but does carry sweet malty notes and cereal. The mouthfeel is definitely a bit different - it feels smoother though the carbonation has been preserved. Not bad, I honestly thought this was a marketing gimmick. Unfortunately this technology does not help much with the taste of the macrobrew. Sweet malt and grassy notes are present as well as some cereal. The sweetness is a bit excessive and does build over the course of the can. The finish is sweet with very little hops.

Overall, the beer is quite refreshing and a bit better than other macrobrews, but falls short compared to microbrewed lagers.

Scores:
Cost - $2.25 for a 473 mL can
Taste - 5.8/10
ABV - 4.9%

Overall - 5.8/10...will consider picking it over other macrobrews, but not over similar microbrews

No comments:

Post a Comment