Monday, April 18, 2011

Beau's Beaver River I.P.EH? Review


IP..eh? Can this be any more Canadian? Oh, wait, it is called Beaver River. I wonder how many people have made this joke at Beau's. Well, now that I am completely distracted I might as well continue with the other awesome things that made me kill precious time just looking at the bottle. The cap for example. It has a face on it!!! Yes, a smily face with a website - faceoncap.com. What else? The awesome Beaver River card that is tied to the bottle with twine? The fantastic Beau label? I can go on, but I have to stop because the amazing aroma has been torturing me for a few minutes now.

The beer has a deep amber color and pours with a thick, creamy and very lacy head which has a pretty good retention time. The aroma is absolutely phenomenal and very inviting...especially if you are a hophead. It is sweet with dried fruits and caramel and with a ton of hops and citrus. The taste is...oh my word...absolutely amazing. I was so lost I forgot to write down some notes. I just kept drinking and drinking until it was all gone. Now I have to struggle to remember and write something. Lets see, the taste was veeeeery hoppy, bittersweet with some caramel, citrus, some dried fruits and butterscotch. The finish was equally bittersweet with a ton of hops and a twist of citrus and pine. The only criticism I have is that the bitterness build up and by the time you get to the end of the bottle, you will be reaching for a glass of water. But what kind of a complaint is that? A glass of water simply clear the way for a second bottle of Beaver River.

This is an absolute must for any hophead. Go and get a bottle as soon as you can because next time I go on a beer run, I am buying all the bottles I can find.

Scores:
Cost - $4.35 for a 600 mL bottle
Taste - 8.7/10
ABV - 5.6%

Overall - 8.8/10...I just had to give it some extra points

No comments:

Post a Comment