Monday, April 16, 2012

Nickel Brook Headstock IPA Review


Look at that colorful can. Though I was immediately drawn to it, I thought it was leftover beer from Christmas. What also drew me to the beer were the big, bold, green letters at the bottom announcing the 80 IBU. I had to have it and in exchange for $2.65 at the cash register, I took home a lonely can.

The beer has a dark walnut color with mild reddish hues and pours with a short to medium, off-white head which recedes to a thin, yet creamy looking layer. As expected, the aroma coming from the beer is sweet, hoppy and fantastic. Some pine, grass, papaya and other fruits are present, but the sheer hoppiness is a bit overwhelming.

The taste is very, very, very good. It starts off just a tad creamy with strong papaya notes and sweet, caramel malt. Then the hops come, which are surprisingly not as grassy as in the aroma. The flavour overall is surprisingly smooth and the whole can goes down easy. I wish I had bought a second one for tonight.

The finish is bittersweet and a nice split between the hops and the sweet malt with very light papaya undertones. The 7% ABV is well hidden, but you can really feel them towards the end.

Scores:
Cost - $2.65 for a can
Taste - 8.8/10
ABV - 7%

Overall - 8.8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment