Monday, June 4, 2012

New Morning Review


The first thing I noticed about this beer was its unique cap which I fell in love with...right up until I had to open it. It wasn't easy. My bottle opener could not fit under the cap so I had to get a Swiss Army knife and gently pull a few of the edges of the cap up so that my opener could get a grip. I tried to minimize the cap damage so that I can add it to my collection, which took some extra time.

The beer has an amber color and pours with a generous head with a moderate retention time and a ton of lacing. The aroma is strong with a lot of herbs, spices, fruits and sugar. Due to the nature of the beer, some boozy notes do emerge. 

The taste is surprisingly note sweet...it actually starts off sour and holds this sourness until the end. Sweet malt emerges as soon as the sourness drops off a bit, but it never builds to the amount of sweetness you find in other similar beers. Citrus, bubblegum, grass and a bit of copper make brief appearances before the hoppy bitterness kicks in.

The finish is where the character of this beer really comes out. It feels balanced with the sourness, sweetness and bitterness all playing almost equal parts (OK, the bitterness comes out slightly on top) and there is just a bit of caramel with a very subtle hint of herbs and spices. 

The one thing I did not like is the dryness that comes soon after the finish. By the time I was a third of the way through I had to go get a glass of water so that my mouth could stop feeling like a desert.

Scores:
Cost - $4.15
Taste - 9/10
ABV - 5.8%

Overall - 9/10...balanced and enjoyable. One of the better beers I have had the please of trying so far this year

No comments:

Post a Comment