Sunday, August 30, 2009

Trapiche Malbec 2008 Review


A few weeks ago I got a bottle of Trapiche Reserve Malbec and was pleasantly surprised by the excellent taste of the $12 bottle. This weekend I got the less expensive one just called Trapiche Malbec. A bottle costs only $8.95, $3 less than the Reserve. In hindsight I should have bought this one first then the Reserve to compare wine up the ladder, not down.

This malbec has a dark red color, slightly lighter than the Reserve. It is medium bodied with hints of berries. Another problem I encountered is that I had a bag of popcorn before drinking the wine, so my senses were quite dull. The acidity was magnified by the cuts I got from the corn shells. This one is not as smooth as the Reserve, but it has a fantastic aftertaste. Relaxing a minute or two after taking a sip, I was experiencing a strawberry/raspberry jam taste, but tart, not sweet. I personally prefer the Reserve as it is much smoother, but this is a great wine for under $10.

Scores:
Cost - $8.95 CAD
Taste - 7.8/10

Overall - 7.8/10...a lot like other Malbecs, but with a great aftertaste. Try the Reserve if you are willing to spend an extra $3, it is worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment