Sunday, August 9, 2009

Trapiche Reserve Malbec 2007 Review


I am somewhat into malbecs at the moment. They offer everything I am looking for - good, rich taste, deep color, smoothness and excellent aftertaste. I had a pinot noir a few days ago and I did not quite enjoy it so I bought a malbec today to make up for it. This malbec is cheaper than the pinot noir but slightly more expensive than the other malbec I had a couple of weeks ago. It costs $11.95 CAD and should be easily found in most LCBOs.

The wine is, like any other malbec I have had so far, very dark red and around 13% alcohol content by volume. This particular one is 13.5% but unlike the pinot noir, it is very smooth. It is very aromatic, slightly acidic and tart. I sense some berries in the wine as well as in the aftertaste. It has a very full and complex taste that is very enjoyable. I do prefer the richer experience and I enjoyed this a bit more than I did the Argento malbec from a couple of weeks ago. The Argento is still very good, but has a bit lighter taste, which may be suitable for some. The Trapiche Reserve has a very clean, slightly fruity aftertaste that lingers for a while reminding you of the excellent wine you just enjoyed.

Scores:
Cost - 8.7/10
Taste - 9.3/10

Overall - 18/20...excellent, strongly recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment