Monday, September 14, 2009

Anchor Brewing Co. Liberty Ale Review


I have been eying Liberty Ale for quite some time now, so I decided that it was time to take the plunge and buy a bottle. Be advised that a bottle will cost you $4.05 CAD, which is quite steep. You do, however, get 650 mL of the Liberty Ale, not some 330 mL or 500 mL.

The beer is copper in color and pours with a thick, creamy head that dissolves in a few minutes with some lacing. It smells a bit of citrus fruits, similarly to Edelweiss Weissbier, only not as strong. Unlike some other strong beers, this one does not start off as sweet, but rather on biscuit note and finishes on a full bodied, dry, bitter note, which lingers for a while. This is not as strong as the Urbock 23, but it is less than a percent ABV above the regular beers. I really enjoyed drinking this beer and the part that I liked most is the bottle - it holds 650 mL, plenty to leave you satisfied.

Scores:
Cost - $4.05 CAD for a 650 mL bottle
Taste - 8.5/10

Overall - 8.5/10...I don't know if I can call this a strong beer, but it sure is a great tasting one

1 comment:

  1. I've had Liberty Ale before and if memory serves me correctly I enjoyed it too.

    I embarrassingly don't have anything but Coors Lights in my fridge right now.

    Finding your site has inspired me to run out and get a grocery bag full of "good" beers and call a couple of buddies over to watch the Georgia Tech @ Miami game. Should be a good Thursday night.

    ReplyDelete