Thursday, November 26, 2009

Magner's Original Irish Cider Review


I've decided to switch things up a bit here, and take a little detour from beer into the world of macrobrewed cider. Ciders are refreshing on a hot day and offer something sweet. Today I have Magner's Original Irish Cider, which I found to be a popular choice in England. It's called Bulmer's in Ireland.

The can suggests serving it over ice, so this is what I have done. It's a nice orange color, a little darker than I'm used to seeing from this type of cider. The taste is a little different from what I'm used to as well. It is quite sweet and doesn't have much of the tartness that you'd expect from cider. It's certainly quite refreshing and there is no hint of the 5% ABV. It can't be directly compared with beer on the taste scale, but it's good for what it is. I could see myself drinking a few of these, since it has a light taste. I will be scoring it based on the refreshment and lightness, not on our usual expectations for beer.

Scores:
Cost - $2.95 for 500 mL can
Taste - 7.5/10

Overall - 7.5/10...refreshing and delicious, but a little too sweet and lacking any complex flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment