Thursday, January 14, 2010

BrewDog Punk IPA Review


My first beer review of the year 2010! Today I will be trying a new LCBO product - the BrewDog Punk IPA. I love seeing new beers at LCBO stores, especially ones from breweries like BrewDog. BrewDog has been gaining popularity lately with their extra strong beers such as Tokyo and Tactical Nuclear Penguin with 18.2% and 32% ABV respectively. Unfortunately the Punk IPA is the only BrewDog beer available in the province of Ontario and only in 330 mL glass bottles which retail for $2.60 CAD. I am actually quite excited to try this.

The beer is slightly cloudy and has a light amber/golden color. It pours with a thick, lacy and creamy head which recedes in minutes. While pouring the beer, a very pleasant flowery aroma hit me. The aroma also carries strong fruity notes which made me salivate. The taste is even better - hops throughout with distant notes of sweet tropical fruits. The finish is bitter and dry with a touch of fruits. The 6% ABV is nicely masked and no signs of it emerge. This is a fantastic beer, one that I drank in minutes and wished I had more of. I cannot wait for the LCBO to import the rest of the BrewDog brews.

Score:
Cost - $2.60 CAD for a 330 mL bottle
Taste - 9/10

Overall - 9/10...a fantastic beer, great way to start the new year

No comments:

Post a Comment