Friday, January 15, 2010

St Peter's Cream Stout Review


Another day, another beer. I actually bought this when I got BrewDog's Punk IPA last night. This, of course, was much more expensive than the Punk IPA at $3.75 CAD for a 500 mL bottle.

As expected, the beer has a dark walnut, almost black color. It poured smoothly with a tan ring around the glass. I got a whiff of the dark chocolate and coffee aroma while pouring it. When I went in for a closer aroma inspection, I detected some additional notes such as roasted malt and nuts. The beer is very lightly carbonated and medium bodied. The flavour is similar to the aroma, only smokier. There is also a distant dried fruits sweetness underneath all the bitterness. The finish is dry, bitter and predominantly hoppy, but also carries subtle notes of roasted nuts, malt and a touch of coffee. I really enjoyed this stout but I didn't enjoy paying the premium. For more than a dollar less, you can buy a can of Hockley Stout, which almost just as good. The only thing you will not get with the Hockley Stout is the 6.5% ABV which is masked very nicely.

Scores:
Cost - $3.75 CAD for a 500 mL bottle
Taste - 8.2/10

Overall - 8.2/10...great stout, but the price is too high

No comments:

Post a Comment