Friday, March 5, 2010

Tusker Premium Lager Review


Today I am trying something different and slightly exotic. Tusker is a beer from Kenya, a country not known for its beers. The beer does not come cheap at $3.20 for a 500 mL bottle so right off the bat it is in a price range that English and Belgian beers dominate with their flavour and body. How would Tusker compare?

The beer is pale golden in color and pours with a short, almost non existent head. The aroma is not as inviting as other beers in the price range. It is a composition of sweet malt, hops, adjuncts and something acidic which reminds me of the effervescent tablets. The beer is strongly carbonated and lacks flavour. I was able to detect some citrusy notes and a touch of hops at the end, but not much else. The finish is where the beer excels as a lager. It is medium, hoppy and dry. The flavour comes out in the finish is lingers for a while creating a pleasurable sensation. Towards the end of the beer, a foul taste starts to build up, which tells me that having more than one or two in a row will make me sick. Overall the beer is OK, but I cannot justify spending $3.20 on it when you can have so much more for your money. One can find comparable lagers for less.

My favorite thing about this beer is this sentence found on the left hand side of the label:
"Not for sale to persons under 18 years". I love this. How did this label pass provincial inspections?

Scores:
Cost - $3.20 CAD for a 500 mL bottle
Taste - 6.5/10

Overall - 6.5/10...OK beer, great finish, but overall lacks flavour

No comments:

Post a Comment