Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gentleman Jack Rare Tennessee Whiskey Review


After finally reviewing Jack Daniel's Old No 7 last week, I decided to give the Gentleman Jack a try. Gentleman Jack is a premium whiskey so a 375 mL bottle costs $19.95 CAD while the 750 mL bottle $36.95. This whiskey is one of the more widely spread premium whiskeys so you shouldn't have too many problems finding it.

The whiskey has a truly amazing deep golden, almost amber color. Swirling it in a glass reveals its wall retention and the slow, greasy drip back into the main body of whiskey. The aroma is mellow and inviting with hints of vanilla, caramel, oak and some dried fruits. Gentleman Jack is oilier than the Old No 7 and the taste packs a much richer flavour. The first thing I noticed was the sweetness and the way it coats the tongue. After the initial sweetness comes the vanilla and the oak along with a subtle smokiness. At the end some of the caramel becomes noticeable. A slight orange taste can be noticed in the finish, which is medium to long and very enjoyable. Don't expect a smooth drink with Gentleman Jack, but do expect quite a bit of flavour.

Of course I couldn't stop just there so I poured myself a bit more and diluted the whiskey with a few drops of water. And when I say a few drops, I really do mean just a few drops, which would be the equivalent of a tiny chip of ice. The aroma was the first I noticed, it had become much more mellower and this time I noticed the sweet scent of maple syrup. The taste did not change much.

Next was the Coke test and this whiskey passed it with flying colors. The Jack and Coke mix becomes very mellow and the vanilla/maple syrup taste bring the overall cocktail taste to a whole another level. If you like the regular Jack and Coke, you will definitely fall in love with the Gentleman Jack and Coke mix.

I am currently not in the mood for a Manhattan, but if I change my mind before the bottle runs out, I will mix one and post the results.

Scores:
Cost - $19.95 for a 375 mL bottle and $36.95 for a 750 mL bottle
Taste - 8.5/10

Overall - 8.5/10...I don't mind paying the extra few dollars over Old No 7 to get the richer flavour

No comments:

Post a Comment