Thursday, May 27, 2010

Gaffel Kolsch Review


Continuing with the new LCBO beer products, today I am trying Gaffel Kölsch, which retails for $3.25 CAD for a 500 mL can...pricey German beer. This needs to be really good because for this price I can get some fantastic British Ales.

The beer has an oddly pale yellow color which resembles cheap domestics rather than solid German brews. It pours with a short to medium, lacy head. The aroma is only passable because it does have some adjuncts present. A subtle and distant aroma of hops and malt can be detected as well as a honey-like sweetness. The taste is richer and very German lager-like, but it does not justify the price. It is malty, grassy with some subtle sweet notes and a very nice hoppy, slightly bitter and dry, medium long finish. Apart from the aroma, this is a solid German lager, but I cannot see myself paying $3.25 for a 500 mL bottle and will have to penalize the final score. For this type of beer, I would draw the line at $2.75, and that's really stretching it.

Scores:
Cost - $3.25 CAD for a 500 mL bottle
Taste - 7/10

Overall - 6.9/10...yes, I said I will penalize this for the high cost

No comments:

Post a Comment