Friday, May 28, 2010

Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Gold Review


Today I am trying another new LCBO arrival - the Hacker-Pschorr Munchener Gold, which is a German lager retailing for $2.90, a slight improvement over yesterday's expensive German lager.

This one has a more proper color - golden yellow - and pours with a short to medium creamy head. The aroma very lager-like, yet a little more intense. Malt and hops are on top with a distant sweet note and a little bit of herbs. The taste somewhat surprised me as it is not quite what I expected. It does deviate slightly from what normal German lagers taste like with its sweet and herbal notes. That said, the taste is not bad, it was just unexpected. The finish is hoppy, grassy with a touch of yeast, which is not something I enjoy a lot or see in many of the better German lagers. Some may like it as the finish, as well as the beer, is not bitter or too heavy. If I am in the mood for a German lager, I can get something more traditional and cheaper...and better. If I wish to spend $2.90 on a 500 mL bottle, I can definitely get something better than this, though it will definitely not be a lager.

Scores:
Cost - $2.90 CAD for a 500 mL bottle
Taste - 6.9/10

Overall - 6.9/10...thought it's an OK beer, it deviates from what traditional German lagers taste like...and not in a very good way

No comments:

Post a Comment