Monday, July 5, 2010

Innis & Gunn Canadian Cask Beer Review



The label says it all - "Bottled in celebration of Canada Day 2010". When I was paying for my purchases a few days ago, I noticed a half open Innis & Gunn box sealed red containers near the cashier. I asked her about it and she said it was a new beer they have just received from Scotland, made for Canada Day 2010. She was nice enough to fully open the box, hand me one and tell me that it costs $4.95. "Sold!" - I told her and paid for the red box. Today I finally found the time to crack it open and try it.

The beer is ruby red, almost walnut brown in color and pours with a tan ring around the edge of the glass. The aroma is mostly of dried fruits and raisins. The taste is malty, raisin-like with notes of dried fruits and subtle citrus hints. The finish is a touch hoppy with hints of oak and raisins. Overall this is a typical Innis & Gunn beer with a lot going and a very strong alcohol taste, which requires the beer to be drank slowly. Though I appreciate the beer, I don't think I can have another one. Once per year is good enough and this is exactly what I am planning on doing if the beer is brewed again for Canada Day 2011. I prefer the Triple Matured Oak Aged beer, which was released around the Christmas Holidays and came in a similar, but blue box.

Scores:
Cost - $4.95 for a 330 mL bottle
Taste - 6.9/10

Overall - 6.9/10...not my favorite style of beer, but it does have a rich character and high ABV

No comments:

Post a Comment