Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dark Star Espresso Rich Coffee Beer Review


Last bottle one at the local LCBO. I almost managed to blend in with all the other beer bottles, but that label just stood out like something I don't normally see in the beer section. Another thing that stood out when I picked it up was the low alcohol content of 4.2% ABV. If you think about it, other similar beers have a much higher alcohol content, with some pushing the 10% margin...one of which I will be reviewing within a week.

This beast of a beer was perfectly contained in my Samuel Smith pint glass...which happens to be well over a pint to compensate for the 550 mL Samuel Smith bottles and their head. Off the bat, we have a dark, dark brown color but not quite black. The light that barely goes through near the edges reveals the lighter hues. The beer poured with a short to medium, lacy, tan head, which receded in a couple of minutes. The aroma is exactly what I was expecting - dark coffee with some chocolate, malt and hop notes. The taste is rather weird, yet awesome if you are a fan of black coffee...and I am. It is like drinking lightly carbonated dark coffee with a very creamy feel to it. The finish has a strong coffee taste but also some hops which do create a nice experience. Overall I really enjoyed the beer as I am a huge fan of coffee/chocolate brews and black coffee. The low alcohol content makes this a much easier beer to drink than some of its competitors.

Beware! This beer was brewed with coffee beans and even though I am a heavy coffee drinker, I was barely able to sleep after drinking the bottle.

Scores:
Cost - $3.45
Taste - 8.5/10

Overall - 8.6/10...an extra 0.1 for the awesome coffee taste

No comments:

Post a Comment