Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Box Steam Brewery Dark & Handsome Review


How can you not get a bottle of Dark & Handsome with a name like this? I got blindsided by temporary luck when I was browsing the shelves of the LCBO and came across a lonely bottle sitting in the corner of a box, pushed all the way back. Once I got past the awesome name, I noticed the label, which is graph paper with, what I assume is, a sketch of a beer glass.

The beer has a dark ruby red color and pours with a thin, off-white head. The aroma is so strong, it will hit you from a distance. Sweet malt, chocolate cake, fruits and coffee are present and just draw you in closer to the mug. The taste is far less sweet than the aroma and unexpectedly different. I was greeted by a bold roasted barley flavour with touches of roasted nuts, coffee and chocolate, and sent away with lightly sweeter chocolaty and fruity tones. The finish is bitter, hoppy with roasted hints and just a touch of licorice and sun-dried Greek olives...??? Olives? Yes, each sip had an odd, yet very enjoyable, olive-like taste to it. Overall, the beer is quite a surprise in terms of sweet aroma and bold and bitter taste. I rather liked it.

Scores:
Cost - $3.50
Taste - 8.4/10
ABV - 5%

Overall - 8.4/10...amazing aroma and an excellent taste

No comments:

Post a Comment