Thursday, January 27, 2011

Growers Granny Smith Apple Cider Review


It is cider time. Actually, a 6 pack of Growers has been sitting in my fridge for a couple of weeks now and I finally got over my laziness, took a photo and cracked one of these open. I love granny smith apples and I do love a good cider so this sounds like a great combo so far...

As seen in the photo, the cider is very pale in color and just a touch hazy. The aroma is very promising with a crisp, sour, granny smith-like tone and just the right amount of sweetness. But that's all it was - promising. The taste is fairly different from the aroma, though the sour, apple tone is still there. I was half expecting sour apple juice, but what I got instead was a combination of dry white wine, some apple cider and club soda...not that this sounds horrible. In fact, I have actually tried mixing it and works great, but you really have to get the right proportions. Back to the cider, the carbonation is so much that it irritates my throat if I drink it too fast. The alcohol is not perfectly mixed and it comes out. The one thing that saves this cider is its amazing finish. Once you swallow, the cider really opens up. The granny smith flavours come to life, the sweetness hits the right level and the overall crispness is extremely refreshing. I spent more time enjoying the finish than drinking this cider. It is quite a rollercoaster this one. The aroma is inviting, but then each sip is mediocre and slightly disappointing, and finally you get to the finish, which is the reward for taking each sip. This is not the greatest cider, but there is potential.

Scores:
Cost - $10.95 for a 6 pack
Taste - 6.5/10 for the taste, 9.5/10 for the finish
ABV - 7%

Overall - 7.25/10...75% from the taste and 25% from the finish

2 comments:

  1. Are you Kiding the growers granny apple cider is the best I have never really drank to be honest and now I found this cider and I can not get enough I really enjoy the taste It is mmm refreshing number 1 in my books.Love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this review. I've also tried other Grower's flavours. Pomegranate would get the same review. However, Saskatoon definitely tastes synthetic ugh!

    ReplyDelete