Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Piraat Review


Digging through my fridge I found a small collection of stubby bottles with a lot of non-English writing. They are all leftovers from my Christmas beer shopping trips to various LCBO stores and they are all about to be consumed. Piraat was my first choice due to its awesome name and its 10.5% ABV.

The beer has a hazy red/amber color and pours with a thin, slightly off white head, which quickly turns into a thin, creamy island right in the middle of the glass. The aroma is sweet and floral with a lot of fruit notes - banana peel, peach, citrus. Some bubblegum is also present as are spices. The taste is far less sweet than I originally expected, but what surprised me the most is...how good this tastes!!! Once you get past the initial malty hit, the flavours burst out and your tastebuds are overwhelmed by a blend of tropical fruits with bananas heavily dominating. The taste is so overwhelming that I get lost in it and forget when I swallow. It is so intense that it completely overwrites the finish and carries you through until the very end. The high ABV can be tasted, but only for a split second before the flavours completely overwhelm it. This is the second best beer I have tried in the past few months. The number one spot has to be given to Flying Monkeys Smashbomb IPA, which should be coming out in bottles very soon, and which is also a completely different style of beer.

Overall, this is a definite recommendation even if you are not into this style.

Scores:
Cost - $16.95 for a 6 pack of Belgian beers (Christmas promotion at LCBO)
Taste - 9.2/10
ABV - 10.5%

Overall - 9.2/10...awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment