Monday, May 30, 2011

Moka d'or Review


This is another beer I got from Montreal for $2.99 from the convenience store on 2500 Rachel East Street.

Being a raspberry beer, it has a nice, deep red color and pours with a lively pink head which recedes quickly to a thin layer covering the top. The raspberry aroma is not as strong as I hoped it would be and there is also the added apple touch, which further prevents the main scent from showing itself. The taste has a very nice, tart raspberry punch with a subtle barley twist, but it also arrives with a bitter set of notes alongside which kill the overall enjoyment. I am not talking about bitterness similar to that of hops, I am talking about a bitterness similar to that of biting into apple seeds. Once the bitterness emerges, the overall taste becomes comparable to that of raspberry flavored medicine minus the syrupy sweetness. Not sure if I got a bad batch or if my taste buds are not working properly or if this is what the beer is supposed to taste like.

On the plus side, the bitterness does not carry into the finish, which is short to medium and rich in tart, raspberry flavor. There is also a hint of citrus which adds some cleanliness. If there was no bitterness, this beer would have been extremely refreshing and enjoyable.

I really wanted to like this fruit beer, but the bitterness kills it for me.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99
Taste - 5.8/10
ABV - 5%

Overall - 5.8/10...enjoyable, tart raspberry taste paired with a not so enjoyable, rough bitterness

No comments:

Post a Comment