Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Norrebro Bryghus Little Korkny Ale Review


As promised, I am catching up on some old reviews I have not yet had the time to fully write up and publish.

Little Korkny Ale is the 4th and last Norrebro brew available at select LCBO stores. It took me a while to find it for several reasons - there aren't many of these bottles and each costs $21.95. Yes, $22 for a bottle of beer. I know there are more expensive ones, but this is the most expensive beer I have purchased. I had this in my fridge for almost 2 weeks and I decided that this weekend would be a good time to crack it open and try it.

I should start off by saying that this is actually a barley-wine style ale which explains the high alcohol content. The ale is hazy and ruby-brown in color. It pours smoothly with no head, just an off-white thin ring around the edge of the glass. The aroma is very strong with sweet dried fruit notes, which are very well pronounced. There is also a bit of caramel and a very subtle roasted note. The mouth-feel is thick and oily. The taste is sweet with a strong dried fruits presence - raisins, plums and apricots. That with malt and caramel give you a good start. The taste transitions very smoothly and quickly to a bittersweet one thanks to the hops. The finish is bittersweet, though more sweet than bitter, with raisins, plums, caramel and just a hint of roasted barley. After a few sips, the finish started to become warm and very bourbon-like. Let it develop and there is a hint of oak, which reminded me a lot of the Innis & Gunn brews. The strong alcohol content cannot be noticed in the taste, but it can be easily felt. Overall, I am impressed and would recommend it if you enjoy barley wines. One thing I did not like was the price. The most I would pay for this, given a second chance, would be $15.

Scores:
Cost - $21.95
Taste - 8.5/10
ABV - 12.5%

Overall - 8.4/10...I am deducting 0.1 for the high price

No comments:

Post a Comment