Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Church-Key Northumberland Ale Review


Last night I saw a lone, brightly colored orange box sitting in the beer aisle at an LCBO I sometimes visit. That box is now sitting in my recycling bin and its contents are in my fridge. All except one bottle. That bottle is sitting on my desk...empty...and here is the review.

The beer has a light golden color and pours with a thin, lively head with a short retention time. The aroma is very lager-like with cereal, yeast and some sweet malt notes. The taste is light and similar to the aroma, though some grassy notes do appear as well. The sweetness from the malt does build up over time, which is not something I enjoy too much. The finish is just a touch better with a bit of hops near the end as well as some subtle toasted notes. Overall, this is a fairly average beer which is much better than macro brews. Its simple and refreshing nature and fairly decent finish play to its advantage, but its lack of complexity hold it back a little. I was expecting more from Church-Key having had their other beers on tap in the past, but I am happy that they are getting their beers out for a wider audience to try.

Scores: Cost - $13.75 for a 6 pack
Taste - 5.8/10
ABV - 5%

Overall - 5.9/10...I feel like giving them 0.1 for the awesome box. I love orange

No comments:

Post a Comment