Monday, September 12, 2011

Izumi of the North Sake Review

Today I finally had the opportunity to visit the Ontario Spring Water Sake Company located in the Distillery District in Toronto. I ended up picking two sakes - one fruity and one labeled as "fine wine". I also got some glassware since I did not have a cold sake set.

Demondori Musume


First we decided to try the Demondori Musume sake which was decried as "fresh and fruity". After letting it chill for a while in the decanter I poured myself a small glass.

The sake has a very pale color with just a smidgen of straw. It reminded me a lot of a Sauvignon Blanc. The aroma is sweet and light with just a bit of toasted rice. The taste is amazingly smooth and fresh. At 15% I was expecting a much stronger alcoholic taste, but surprisingly this did not taste nowhere close to 15%...7% or 8% perhaps, but not 15%.

The sake is fruity, yet not too sweet. I noted a light pear and apple taste along with some toasted rice. The finish is a bit dry, light and fruity. This is a fantastic summer sake.

I am no sake expert, but this is definitely one of the best sakes I have tried and would definitely recommend it if you are ever in the Distiller District.

Teion Sakura


Second came the Teion Sakura, described as a sake with acidity reminiscent of a fine white wine.

The sake has a slightly darker yellow color than the Demondori Musume, but still light enough to be compared to a lighter white wine.

Aroma-wise, this sake is fairly similar to the Demondori Musume one. Taste-wise, it is different. Staying true to its description, this wine is more acidic and less sweet than the previous one, but still carries some fruity notes. The 12% ABV is a bit more noticeable, but overall the sake does not taste that strong. The finish is crisp with just a hint of fruits. Overall, I really like this sake's clean taste and crisp finish.

Scores:

Demondori Musume
Cost - $12.95
Taste - 9/10
ABV - 15%

Teion Sakura
Cost - $12.95
Taste - 8.9/10
ABV - 12%

Overall - both are recommended if you are ever near the Distillery District

No comments:

Post a Comment