Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Renaissance Stonecutter Scotch Ale Review


Here is another beer that has taken me a while to review. This bottle sat in my basement for a good 1-2 months before I got the chance to crack it open. Part of the reason why it took me so long was the style - scotch ale. I am not a huge fan and I wanted to wait for the right time - a chilly winter evening.

The beer has a deep brown color and pours with a short to medium off-white head with some minor lacing. As expected, the aroma is very malty with a heavy oak influence, some smokiness and quite a lot of boozyness. The taste is rather different and not something I expected. I got hit by a ton of peat and not much sweetness. Some woody characters followed the peat and hops followed them. The beer ends on a warm, rather peaty/hoppy note with very little sweetness. I was genuinely surprised by how different this scotch ale was and how enjoyable I found it to be. After a few sips I felt quite warmed up and looked forward to finishing the bottle. Even if you are not a huge fan of scotch ales, but like scotch, you may like this one.

Scores:
Cost - $4.60
Taste - 8.7/10
ABV - 7%

Overall - 8.7/10...peaty, woody, hoppy, hardly any sweetness present

No comments:

Post a Comment