Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lake of Bays 10 Point IPA Review


I picked up this gorgeous looking bottle last week for $8.95 from the local LCBO.

The first thing I noticed about this beer is its fantastic color. There was something about it that made me fall in love - it was deep amber with some mahogany hues and just so perfectly clear with absolutely no bubbles rising from the base of the glass. The head was creamy and medium thick and receded leaving a decent amount of lacing behind. 

Strong hops and toasted aromas rise from the glass, but not much else. The taste is a bit more subtle than I anticipated with toasted malt taking the stage, leaving the hops behind. Some caramel and nuts are also present and compliment the malt, but I just wish there was a bit more of the hops.

The finish is a tad spicy and heavy on the malt. The caramel and nuts compliment the finish very well, which leaves a satisfying feeling, but the hops are, again, nowhere to be found. Caramel notes also make an appearance and give the finish some sweetness.

I enjoyed this IPA, but I felt like it was a bit too plain, too standard.

Scores:
Cost - $8.95
Taste - 7.7/10
ABV - 6%

Overall - 7.7/10...very enjoyable, but lacks depth

No comments:

Post a Comment