Monday, September 28, 2009

Devil's Pale Ale 666 Review


Lately I have been trying a lot of local beers and have been discovering that most are excellent. To be honest, I would have never given this a second look if I didn't know it was one of those awarded local brews. I am not really into this kind of labels/marketing because when I see something like this, I automatically think that the beer is not good and the brewer is trying a cheap trick to get people to buy the product at least once. Six six six, I get it, I get it...the beer is the Devil's Pale Ale...ha...ha...ha. For the Devil's Pale Ale I was expecting something like 66.6% ABV (I know it is not really possible), not 6%. And I was expecting to sign a contract with the Devil before opening the beer and give him something in exchange for having a sip...Disappointment! The Devil did not show up when I was getting ready to drink this. Enough of this crap, let's have it.

The ale is walnut brown in color and pours with a thick, very creamy head and quite a bit of lacing. It smells of roasted nuts with a hint of caramel. It tastes quite similarly too, but heavier on the nuts. The beer is fairly smooth and the finish is bitter and a bit hoppy. The one thing that is quite unique about this beer is the head, it is so creamy and does hold for a while. There is so much lacing too, more than I have seen before. This is a strong beer at 6% ABV, but you just can't notice it since the flavour is so bold and enjoyable.

Scores:
Cost - $2.60 CAD for a 473 mL can
Taste - 8.3/10

Overall - 8.3/10...I am surprised that a beer with such a label tastes so good

No comments:

Post a Comment