Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Berthold Keller Premium Lager Review


I love the holidays. I love staying home all day and doing nothing but drinking, readings news and books. Holidays can also be expensive, especially with all the specialty and seasonal beers that get released around this time. This is why tonight I am having another cheep beer. I have never heard of this before - Berthold Keller. The only thing I know about it is that the can is lovely and the price is low - $1.95 CAD for 500 mL. Oh, the can, lets talk about that for a second. The can is matte, like Saku, and the label is very plain. What you see in the photo above can also be seen on the reverse side of the can...and that is almost it, except for the ingredients paragraph, which takes up a small space.

Now lets try the beer. It pours smoothly with a short, lacy and lively head. Its color is typical for lagers - light to medium gold. The aroma is nothing spectacular. I sense some hops, but also corn and yeast. The taste is weak and dominated by yeast and corn. At times I get the taste of rice, but at least it is weak. The finish is better than the aroma and taste. Here the hops finally come out, though the experience is weak. The finish is dry...really dry. This isn't a bad cheap beer since it is very easy to drink, but it lacks some flavour.

Scores:
Cost - $1.95 CAD for a 500 mL can
Taste - 6.1/10

Overall - 6.1/10...cheap, decent and dry, but lacks character

2 comments:

  1. tasted ok but morning after only 2 cans and my eyes are crossing in my head and I feel really woozy - never never again - feel like I've been poisened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic beer. It's easily my choice lager and that of most of the people in my area. Cheap, easy and 5%. shame the price has gone up.

    ReplyDelete