We Have Moved

Check us out at our new home at www.whatidrinkathome.com

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dieu du Ciel Route des Epices Review


It has been around two weeks since my last review so I decided to get off my lazy bum and go to a larger LCBO to see what I can find. I went to one of the bigger ones in Toronto and walked out with 8 beers and a cider, which I will review over the next couple of weeks.

Today I will start off with Dieu du Ciel's Route des Epices, which is a rye beer brewed with peppercorns. The beer is walnut brown in color and pours very smoothly with almost no head. The aroma has a slight sour rye bread note to it with a bit of a peppery undertone. The taste is rich and absolutely fantastic. It is slightly sour with a lot of rye, a little bit of hops and some chocolate. Some sweetness comes in later on from what might be dried fruits. The finish is what I love about most - it is peppery and reminds me of eating salt and pepper kettle chips. The spicy finish lasts for a long time, especially in the back of the throat.

Scores:
Cost - $2.95 for a 341 mL bottle
Taste - 8.3/10

Overall
- 8.4/10...I give it an extra 0.1 for the excellent finish

1 comment:

  1. your review is spot on in describing the beer. I visited the Dieu du Ciel pub in Montreal and loved the 2 seasonal brews I tried there. So after reading your review I picked up 4 different ones recently from the LCBO. This one I won't be buying again. The spicy finish in the back of the throat (like you described) wasn't something I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete