Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Dieu du Ciel Route des Epices Review


It has been around two weeks since my last review so I decided to get off my lazy bum and go to a larger LCBO to see what I can find. I went to one of the bigger ones in Toronto and walked out with 8 beers and a cider, which I will review over the next couple of weeks.

Today I will start off with Dieu du Ciel's Route des Epices, which is a rye beer brewed with peppercorns. The beer is walnut brown in color and pours very smoothly with almost no head. The aroma has a slight sour rye bread note to it with a bit of a peppery undertone. The taste is rich and absolutely fantastic. It is slightly sour with a lot of rye, a little bit of hops and some chocolate. Some sweetness comes in later on from what might be dried fruits. The finish is what I love about most - it is peppery and reminds me of eating salt and pepper kettle chips. The spicy finish lasts for a long time, especially in the back of the throat.

Scores:
Cost - $2.95 for a 341 mL bottle
Taste - 8.3/10

Overall
- 8.4/10...I give it an extra 0.1 for the excellent finish

1 comment:

  1. your review is spot on in describing the beer. I visited the Dieu du Ciel pub in Montreal and loved the 2 seasonal brews I tried there. So after reading your review I picked up 4 different ones recently from the LCBO. This one I won't be buying again. The spicy finish in the back of the throat (like you described) wasn't something I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete