Friday, January 7, 2011

Höss Holzar-Bier



With the holiday season approaching, the LCBO is rolling out their holiday packs. I am reviewing the Höss holiday pack, which contains 3 beers for $12.95. Only one is available separately, which is the Höss Doppel-Hirsch we've already reviewed. It got an 8.1, which got me interested in the gift pack. I did try the one in this gift pack and I agree with the rating and comments. It is nice and malty with lots of dried fruit (especially raisins) in the taste, but a little too sweet.

The other thing that got me interested, of course, is the swing-top. I am a sucker for a swing-top bottle, I just love that pop. It gives everything a feeling of celebration, like opening a bottle of champagne, but with beer.

The first beer I'll be reviewing is the Holzar-Bier from this pack. It's a fairly cold day today and I felt like having the stronger beer of the two. This one is 5.2%. After opening it and pouring it into a glass, there is almost no head, but some nice lacing. It's a dark copper color and smells quite promising, with malt and caramel. The taste is a little weaker than I was hoping to get, with very soft carbonation and some malt. The finish is slightly bitter. It's very drinkable, unlike the Doppel-Hirsch, but this beer is just unremarkable, and I must admit that I am disappointed.

Scores:
Cost - $12.95 for 3 500 mL bottles in a gift pack
Taste - 6.8/10
ABV - 5.2%

Overall - 6.8/10...a drinkable but bland beer with pleasing malt that ultimately disappoints

No comments:

Post a Comment