Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mikkeller Citra Single Hop IPA Review


A friend of mine recently brought me a whole bunch of Mikkeller single hop brews from Chicago and I just couldn't wait to try the citra one. I was counting the minutes until I could go home and crack it open.

The beer has an amazing mahogany/reddish color and pours with a thick and creamy head that sticks to the sides of the glass leaving large amounts of lacing behind. The aroma is something that cannot be described with words. It fills the entire room with hoppy aromas carrying sweet tropical and piney notes.

The taste is equally mind blowing with the perfect malt/hop balance. It starts off slightly malty and sweet with light tropical and piney flavours and transitions to a hoppier, more bittersweet beer with a bit of a grassy and citrus character. The finish is dry, slightly warm with a great burst of papaya and buttery biscuit and more of the hoppy goodness.

The one flaw I can point out are the grassy notes which seem to build up with each sip. While drinking the beer, there are plenty of other flavours to mask the grassiness, but give it a few minutes after you are done and you will feel them at the back of your throat. This to me is an indicator that I can only consume two or three of these before I have to seek some water. Still, with an amazing aroma and taste like this, I don't mind getting off my ass and getting a glass of water so that I can continue drinking more of these.

Scores:
Cost - $6.49
Taste - 9.5/10
ABV - 6.9%

Overall - 9.4/10...loses 0.1 for the high price, but this still is one of the best, if not the best, IPA I have had

No comments:

Post a Comment