Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Aberlour Double Cask Matured 12 Year Old Scotch Whisky


After standing in front of the scotch display for what I thought was 10-15 minutes deciding what to get, I picked up a bottle...or should I say a cylindrical box of Aberlour Double Cask Matured 12 year old scotch whisky. The bottle costs $56.45, but I am sure our neighbors to the south can pick one of these up for a lot less.

The first thing I noticed about this was the deep amber color which was nicely accentuated by the beautiful bottle. The scotch has a sweet, warm, buttery aroma with a lot of spices and a hint of citrus. The mouthfeel is medium to heavy and rather oily. Dried fruits, spices and more of the buttery goodness make up the taste up front with some smoke coming in towards the end. The finish is long, a tad smoky with a lot of buttery and sweet, fruity notes in the short run and some citrus and candied lemon peels in the long run.

I liked this as a sipper and I really thought that a dash of water opened it up a bit more.

Scores:
Cost - $56.45
Taste - 8.5/10
ABV - 43%

Overall - 8.5/10...loved the warmth on a cold winter night

No comments:

Post a Comment