Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Les Trois Mousquetaires Kellerbier Review


Sooooo, we are back after a month long hiatus with some excellent beers from Quebec (yes, I spent some time there over the past month).

I will start off the series of reviews with Les Trois Mousquetaires' Kellerbier, which comes in an amazing bottle that I fell in love with at first sight. One other thing I love about this bottle is the sheer volume of information provided on the back. There is everything from the starting gravity to the malts used to the SRM to the suggested glass type to...er...you get the idea.

Note that you have to start pouring the beer very carefully. The way the neck is shaped creates a turbulent region which pours the beer at first with a lot of head. So much head that I could not pour the 375 mL beer into a 600 mL glass. You would also agitate the yeast sediment if you are not careful.

With the beer in the glass I was able to admire its beautiful amber color and thick, off-white head. It was a gorgeous sight. The aroma is very malty with hints of biscuit, dried fruits and roasted nuts. The mouthfeel is smooth and a tad creamy. The malty flavour comes first, but is followed by a medley of sweet fruits, some raisins, caramel and just a touch of spice. The finish is bittersweet with just a hint of hops near the end as well as some grassiness and a little bit of spice.

This is an outstanding beer! I sipped mine to enjoy it longer, but I can easily see myself drinking several in a row in a quick fashion.

Scores:
Cost - $2.99
Taste - 9.2/10
ABV - 5.5%

Overall - 9.3/10...gets an extra 0.1 for its amazing drinkability

No comments:

Post a Comment