Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lake of Bays Pale Ale Review


I first saw this brew at the local LCBO a few weeks ago, but didn't pick it up until earlier this week. And I only did that because the store was out of Hoptical Illusion and Nether World. A 6 pack will not break the bank at only $11.95, which is less than some of the domestic macrobrews. The bottles have simple yet appealing labels with plenty of information. What I don't like too much is that the bottles are twist offs...not a huge fan of twist offs.

The beer is light golden, a little hazy and pours with a short head. For a pale ale, I was expecting a darker color, but I will work with what I can. The aroma is weak with some cereal notes as well as a touch of hops and a very distant sweet touch. I was expecting a bit more. The taste is where the pale ale starts to show itself. The beer is bittersweet with a dry and hoppy finish with a roasted malt touch. Sweet caramel notes appear and mix well with the tasty hops to create a very easy drinking pale ale which might appeal to a wider audience. Overall the pale ale is not as hoppy, but it offers a nice balance between more mass produced beers and something with more hops. Something that I hear a lot from people who drink my beer is that it is too strong for them, but I think that this is something guests might enjoy. I would definitely buy again if I need something easy going.

Scores:
Cost - $11.95 for a 6 pack
Taste - 6.9/10
ABV - 5%

Overall - 6.9/10...not as hoppy as I expected it to be, but it offers a nice balance between more popular beers and craft brews with a lot of hops. Should be a good one for guests not used to hoppy beers or for those seeking to cross over to the more complex beers

No comments:

Post a Comment